Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jayanagar Skating rink - part 2

After that unpleasant experience at the skating rink, I thought some more and realized that lady must have been bluffing. At the same time, I didn't want my son to be tottering amongst the rest of the class with children of various skill levels moving around.
So, I took him an hour earlier one day at 3:30 in the afternoon.
So, we put on the skates and are about to walk into the rink and I see a new board there.
The board basically announced the rink, and the 2nd/3rd lines had
"Only club skaters allowed "
"By order"

Seeing stuff in writing, I thought .."Ok.. maybe she was right, then. Let me just take him in for today, now that he's here and ready".
We walk in, and he starts stepping about and the male coach who was teaching the kids last time.. walks in. He starts laying cones about.. and we started talking. He didn't say anything about us being there 'unauthorized'. But since I'd seen that board, I asked him about joining the class and he told me what I needed to get - the regular roller skates, shoes ..etc.
After 15 min, we went and got the equipment, and my son was enrolled.

I was thankful I did that. What I'd imagined as an exercise lasting a day or two.. continued for more than 3 months. I guess small kids(or some kids) take longer to learn the balance/coordination required for skating.
I remember how I'd taught myself skating back in the 7th grade. It was almost an entire day of falling on my backside.
But by evening, I had achieved two things:
  1. I could skate around my terrace fine, make turns, etc. without falling.
  2. My butt was so sore that I could only lie on the floor if I wanted to be in a non-standing position.
Anyhow, my son was now taking skating lessons. So, does that end the skating story? Not quite...

No comments: