Tuesday, February 21, 2012

About likers and liker-mockers

Recently, I saw this spat between a few friends. Let's call them L, M, N & O
It started off for me with M, N & O apologizing to L, and asking him to 're-friend' them back on facebook.  L - upset as he was - initially didn't warm up to the idea..but later on 'friended' them back.

Let's flash-back a few days: Whenever L posted an article/comment/fart on facebook - he 'like'd any and every response he got to his post ( he still does). This prompted M to joke about it that L was being a 'like-wh**e' - giving his 'likes' free to anybody that paid him attention. To M, that was like desecrating the sanctity of the 'like'. It was like saying 'great question' any post-lecture question... you get the drift.
N & O 'liked' M's witty retorts around this topic.

And of course, these were the first set of responses that L didn't 'like'. And ended up banishing the entire lot from L's facebook living room.


Personally, I use 'like' to respond to other's posts. I 'like' responses to posts I make only when - the response is funny, or extra-ordinary in some way. If I want to acknowledge people's responses/wishes, I reply to a batch - "thanks everybody, ". 
If it's something like birthday wishes, I pretty much respond to each using the opportunity for some small talk.

Clearly - I'm not a 'liker' like L. But neither am I a 'liker-mocker' like M.
I also understand the point of view of the 'L's of the world. Their 'like' is to simply say 'thanks for your comment'. For comments which touch them more - they will probably go verbal on it.
I wonder how other facebook users feel about this.

I also noticed that I notice how people respond to responses to their posts. If somebody 'likes' a comment that I put on their post, I do check if they've 'liked' every other response.

I'm real glad now that facebook's graph API is being extended by individual apps to add stuff like 'thank', 'have', 'want' etc. Hopefully the status app(?) on facebook adds one of these things.

But what would you add, if you add only one other verb to a status update?      

No comments: