Saturday, January 5, 2008

Jayanagar, Bangalore Skating rink experience..

Before heading to Bangalore, we had this bright idea: We'd buy a pair of inline skates for my son(4 yrs) , and my niece(5 yrs), and teach them.
There's a skating rink in 3rd block, Jayanagar, Bangalore.
After a couple of days on the terrace, I took the kids to the rink. A lot of kids were going around.. there was nobody at the entrance, no boards marking any fees, etc.
Every kid had a ridiculous helmet on.. so I guessed there was some authority at work here.

Anyways, not seeing anybody I could talk to/ask, I took the kids into the rink, put their skates on and was encouraging them to walk.
Just then, my wife came by and said "They say you can't skate here... " . She pointed at a lady sitting on the stadium steps.
I walk up to this portly lady.. with a frown on her face. The conversation went something like this:
"she: you need to take those children out of the rink right away"
"me: Can't we skate here ? "
"No. Only those that take lessons from us can skate here."
"me: Oh, ok.. I didn't know that. I can sign up"
" Also, they can't use those skates here. They'll have to get the recommended ones (the old roller kind)"
"me: why not ? "
"Those are toy skates. Plastic inline skates. The kids learn skating here for professional levels "

I was awestruck for a couple of seconds.. at the smugness of this frog about her knowledge.
I went on: "they are not toys. But they are inline skates. As a kid, I too learnt roller skates, but in fact, inline skates are the ones that are now used all over the world... "

"No.. but we don't teach those here"

"thats ok, I can pay your fees for using this rink, and I'll teach my kids"

"No. We can't allow that. Its against our policy"

The frown had turned into a full blown scowl now.
I say " Doesn't this place belong to the govt. ? Isn't this public property? "

"Our skating club has taken this over. We maintain it, and pay money to the govt. So we have the right to charge for use, and forbid those that don't follow the rules. We only teach kids to compete at a professional level"

I was done with this conversation. Hearing crap like "professional level roller skating" in India, was too much to stomach. The next step was either to start a yelling match, or just get out of there and find out more.

I got out of there.
The kids didn't understand why I stopped their little play, removed their skates, and took them out. I'm glad they didn't. They started talking to each other about something else they saw around them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today, 15th Sep 2015, I too had a bad experience. I went there to Skate, not for my kids, but for myself. And was suprised that Rink is locked out and open only to people who pay 600 Rs to the coach. What a waste for tax payer's money... as a tax payer I am not even allowed to use the public skating rink due to some understanding between the corporater the the coaches!

Unknown said...

Hi i too had same experience recently. I don't want to ignore this. Can something be done against this.. I took this matter till commissioner. But looks like nothing is happening..... Can anything be done

Aditya said...

Same here. Thought I'll restart skating and bought a pair of skates. Got the same response again from a lady with a matching description.