Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jayanagar Skating rink - part 3

So far: Our first time at the Jayanagar Skating rink, and the second time.

So, my son had been going skating for a month or so. I was glad I put him there.. given the time he was taking to learn. I definitely wouldn't have had the patience or understanding to break down the process of skating to teach him that correctly. I was happy to walk around the stadium talking on the phone with friends while he was busy getting up.

Then one day we go to the rink, and I happen to notice that same board I'd mentioned the previous time. There was something different. I paid closer attention.
The line 'Skating permitted for club skaters only' was painted over. You could still see the lettering under the white paint-over. But it definitely was gone.
The 3rd line had something about BBMP (Bangalore City authority) - who I'd deduced the first time to be the people in charge when I'd had the altercation with the woman running the club.

Looks like the club guys had taken upon themselves to put up the board and paint in their lie about 'Only club skaters allowed' - probably to deal with pesky people like me. Looks like somebody smarter than me (or maybe even the BBMP folks) had seen their lie and called them on it.

The good thing about it was that I'd seen this after a month or so into the class. So, I'd realized that putting my son into the class was the smart thing to do overall. So, I took a deep breath, took a picture of this ( to publish here).
And I continued with my routine of walking about the stadium calling my friends, eating tomato puri at the cart there, and eating roasted maize from another cart.

At the end of the summer, my son was going around the rink comfortably. Not fast - and he still didn't have the 'glide' that comes when you're skating comfortably. Thats the end of it however. I eventually got bored of driving him up to the rink. I stuck with just tennis lessons for him.

No comments: